The Paediatric ward provides a Level 4 Paediatric service to patients aged from birth to 16 and up to 18 years in some instances, depending on presenting illness and history. The ward admits patients living within the Richmond/Clarence catchment area.
The unit is staffed by specialist Paediatric Nurses and Paediatricians and works with allied health professionals who provide additional support services.
Our services include:
- Medical patients: respiratory, gastrointestinal, seizure disorders, feeding problems, meningitis/encephalitis, minor cardiac problems, endocrine disorders, metabolic disorders, skin infections/disorders, autoimmune disorders, mental health stabilisation, and eating disorders.
- Surgical patients: ENT, Orthopaedic, hernia’s and related conditions, emergency surgery, infections and abdominal surgery, trauma care, head injury, and minor burns.
The Paediatric Unit also provides the Paediatric Acute Care service (PACS) provides acute or post-acute treatment and clinical interventions outside the hospital environment, normally in the home environment.
This type of care would normally require admission to an inpatient bed in hospital or a presentation to hospital for a clinical review, but can be provided by the PACS team.
PACS provides care for:
- Chronic illness adjunct care
- Acute care clinical reviews
- Education – seizure/asthma/anaphylaxis
- Burns/wounds – wet dressings
- Growth and nutrition
Visiting Hours: 8am to 12pm and 2pm to 7pm