Preparing Site Specific Assessment (SSA) or Access Request applications
Please contact the relevant LHD Research Governance Officer/s well in advance to the submission of your application. The submission of an incomplete application will delay the authorisation process.
All research to be conducted within NNSW and/or MND LHDs must also have site specific authorisation prior to commencement. Applications for Site Specific Assessment (SSA) must be submitted using the SSA Form via the Research Ethics Governance Information System (REGIS). The REGIS website provides guidance on how to complete the application forms and details the supporting documents required for making an application. Once completed in REGIS, the SSA is submitted and assessed for eligibility by the Research Governance Officer, which will then manage the subsequent authorisation process.
A separate SSA application must be made for each site at which the research project is to be conducted. For example, even if the project is to be conducted at two sites under the control of a single NSW Public Health Organisation, a separate application must be made for each site.
When preparing your SSA in REGIS – please ensure:
- All information relates to the relevant site (Facility and/or Local Health District).
- Applications need to be clear in regards to the resources relating to participation by the LHD in the project eg:
- Number in each of the participant groups (as discussed with the relevant LHD Manager)
- Task/s ie: what is the expected participation eg: complete online survey, participate in focus group etc
- Timeframe – how long is each task expected to take to complete (travel time to and from a venue should be included in the timeframes)
- Once completed in REGIS, the SSA is submitted and assessed for eligibility by the Research Governance Officer, which will then manage the subsequent authorisation process.
Access Request applications
An access request review, instead of site specific assessment, should be completed for all human research projects that require support from the NNSW and/or MNC LHDs in the form of access to participants, tissue or data but do not involve the conduct of research at a NNSW and/or MNC LHD site.
Application for access request review must be submitted using the Access Request Form. The form is available from the Site Authorisation Page at the Office of Health and Medical Research and includes detailed information on the supporting documentation required.
Only one access request per Research Governance Officer is required for each research project, even if the project requires access from a number of facilities, locations or services covered by that Research Governance Officer. Access Requests will be accepted in electronic format – including scanned copies of the signature pages. Submit by email to the relevant Research Governance Officer.
- NC NSW HREC resources and forms
- NSW Health Office of Health and Medical Research on Access Requests
- Research Ethics and Governance contact details