In an emergency, always call triple zero (000). It’s a free call from any phone, mobile or phone box.

For other urgent medical issues, go to an Emergency Department.

Our Emergency Departments are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week:

What if im not coping

Most carers will tell you that they have times when they feel they are unable to cope. If you are feeling this way, seek someone to talk to – either your family, friends, doctor (GP), minister or a counsellor.

Counselling can help

Friends or family may provide you with emotional support to help you through this time, however sometimes people need to speak with someone who understands the emotional impacts of caring.  Professional carers counsellors are available through the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.

Counselling involves talking to someone who listens and understands and can work with you to give you the encouragement and support you need.

Talking with a counsellor can make a difference to your caring role and your well-being. It may be a way to assist with the changes in your relationships and roles as well as dealing with feelings associated with caring.

Counselling may involve just you and the counsellor, either face-to-face or over the telephone. Anything said is completely confidential, so it’s a good chance to talk about things you feel you can’t raise with family or friends. Counselling usually involves a limited number of sessions but will vary according to your needs.

Counselling can help with:

  • Finding balance in your life
  • Changes in care relationships
  • Managing stress
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Anxiety
  • Isolation
  • Coping skills
  • Depression
  • Grief and loss

Counselling Services

National Carer Counselling Program (Carers NSW) 1800 242 636
Relationships Australia 1300 364 277
Lifeline 13 11 14
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
Dementia Helpline 1800 100 500
Young Carer Counselling Line 1800 242 63