By mid-2016 hospital services in Byron Shire will be consolidated in a new facility. Byron Central Hospital is now in the process of construction on a 6 ha site at Ewingsdale, on the approach road to Byron Bay, off the Pacific Motorway.
This purpose-built hospital, costed at around $88 million, will replace the current district hospitals in the northern (Mullumbimby) and southern (Byron Bay) parts of the Shire.
Byron Central Hospital has been designed to provide integrated services for hospital patients and community health clients, as well as an enhanced working environment for doctors, nurses and other clinical staff.
Services to be offered will include:
- 24-hour emergency attention
- 43 overnight inpatient beds
- Low-risk maternity services following the same model currently delivered at Mullumbimby
- A new 20-bed, non-acute mental health unit
- Enhanced X-ray and medical imaging
- Dental service, satellite chemotherapy, and ambulatory care
A suitable model for providing day-only surgical and diagnostic procedures for both public and privately insured patients is under investigation.