Activities as part of the strategy include:
- a State-wide “controlled purchase operation” program which aims to reduce the availability of tobacco products to children under the age of 18
- advice and enforcement of the Smoke Free Environment Act to reduce the health impacts of Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) in public places
- advice and enforcement of tobacco advertisements.
The Tobacco Legislation Amendment Act 2012 amends the Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 and bans smoking in the following outdoor public places from 7 January 2013:
- Within 10 metres of children’s play equipment in outdoor public places
- Public Swimming Pools
- Sporting Events
- Smoking at public transport stops and stations
- Smoking and Public Buildings
- Smoking in commercial outdoor dining areas
Additional resource links:
- For more information about tobacco and smoking control, see the NSW Health website.