Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease caused by infection with the bacteria (germ) Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. TB can damage a person’s lungs or other parts of the body and cause serious illness. Health Care Providers are encouraged to refer persons with signs and/or symptoms of TB for specialist consultation.
The TB Prevention and Care program covers both Northern NSW and Mid North Coast Local Health Districts.
To refer, call (02) 6620 2280
Under the Public Health Act (2010) doctors are required to notify TB to the Public Health Unit (PHU). The TB service is a clinical service accessed through the PHU which can provide valuable assistance in investigating and managing persons suspected of having TB. It is preferred that TB notification is on provisional clinical diagnosis.
To notify, call (02) 6620 2280
Free treatment of TB is accessed through TB Services. Specialist TB clinicians are available to liaise with General Practitioners (GPs) and other health care providers.
Outpatient clinics, sometimes called Chest Clinics, are held on a regular basis in Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Lismore and Tweed Heads.
An appointment is required for TB Services at all sites. To make an appointment, please phone during business hours on the numbers below. A doctor’s referral is not usually required.
Lismore/ Tweed Heads (02) 6620 2280
Coffs Harbour/ Port Macquarie (02) 6656 7855
TB Specialists include:
- Specialist Medical Officers: Dr Robert Nickels, Dr Bliegh Mupunga, Dr Joe Churtin, and Dr Pradeen Mudholkar
- TB Coordinator: Sue Devlin, Nurse Practitioner
- Assessment of persons suspected of having TB
- Free treatment of persons with TB disease
- Coordination of Directly Observed Therapy (DOT) – DOT is a NSW Health requirement
- TB related pathology and radiology services
- Coordination of TB contact tracing and screening of contacts
- Assistance with Health Care Worker TB assessment, screening and clinical review
- Free treatment and/or monitoring of persons with latent TB infection
- Tuberculin Skin Testing (TST), Interferon Gamma Release Assay Testing (IGRA) and BCG Vaccination
- Tuberculosis Undertaking Service – Assessment and screening of persons referred from the Department of Home Affairs Tuberculosis education