NNSW LHD Drug and Alcohol Services provide treatment to affected people 16 years and older. We provide voluntary treatment for effected people 18 years and over. For young people 16 to 18, we provide counselling, hospital consultation and drug use in pregnancy (DIPs) services. For 12-24 year olds we provide youth drug and alcohol counselling in the Byron Bay Area.
Drug and Alcohol Services contribute to the prevention of substance use harms. They work with other agencies to support intervention and co-management of affected people.
Contemporary Drug and Alcohol Services work within an evidence based environment. All Clinical Practitioners hold current practicing licences, are medically credentialed and work within a clinical governance framework.
Drug and Alcohol services provide treatment, information and support to people and families affected by use of:
- Other drugs
NNSWLHD Drug & Alcohol Services include:
- Intake assessment and referrals
- Drugs In Pregnancy (DIPS) Women who are pregnant and using drugs and/or alcohol
- Inpatient withdrawal services
- Hospital consultation
- Opioid treatment services
- Medical support and treatment
- Education & training
- Diversion into treatment of illicit drug offenders (MERIT) program
The main service sites are at Tweed Heads and Lismore Hospitals. There are other Drug and Alcohol service sites in Byron Bay, Grafton and Nimbin Hospitals. Drug and Alcohol services are also located in Community Health centres including Ballina, Casino, Murwillumbah, and Maclean.
- Referrals can come from health professionals and the community.
To contact the Intake Drug and Alcohol service in your area phone:
Clarence Area02 6641 8709
Tweed Byron Area07 5506 7010
For more information on Northern NSW Drug and Alcohol Services including Helplines, click on the following link:
Drug and Alcohol Services in NNSW LHD consist of the following programs:
- Opioid Treatment Programs (OTP) at Tweed, Lismore, Nimbin and Grafton
- Drug and Alcohol Counselling Teams working from Community Health Centres across the Local Health District
- Consultation Hospital Liaison provides consultation for Tweed, Ballina, Grafton and Lismore. Lismore provides an outreach service to Casino
Your local Community Health Centre can put you in touch with Drug and Alcohol specialists.
To contact a Drug and Alcohol Counselling phone the following Community Health Centres:
Ballina02 6620 6200
Bonalbo02 6665 1203
Byron Bay02 6639 9400
Casino02 6660 0610
Grafton02 6640 2402
Kyogle02 6632 2598
Maclean02 6640 0123
Murwillumbah02 6670 9400
Nimbin02 6689 1288
Urbenville02 6634 1600
Riverland’s Inpatient Withdrawal Unit
There is a 14 bed inpatient withdrawal unit in Lismore which is part of the purpose built Riverland’s Centre.
- 18 years and over
To contact the Riverland’s Inpatient Withdrawal Unit phone:02 6620 7608
Drugs in Pregnancy (DIPs)
Drugs In Pregnancy (DIPs) is a service for pregnant woman or new mothers who are in methadone treatment or who use alcohol and other drugs. The program is not about making judgments about drug use. DIPS aims to help women reduce harm that may occur to themselves or their baby during pregnancy and after birth.
Referrals to DIPS are accepted from any source.
- Women can self-refer with a phone call
- Antenatal clinic staff
- GPs can refer
If a woman decides not to engage with the service, other supports can be offered to her and her existing care team.
Mothers who are part of the DIPS Program are seen by a Case Manager throughout their pregnancy, during admission and after birth. They assist with any problems and provide support for parents of babies experiencing Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome.
DIPS supports strengthening parenting skills and confidence. The service is coordinated by Clinical Nurse Specialists and Registered Nurses with Midwifery and Drug and Alcohol expertise. The team assisting them includes:
- Child and Family Health
- Drug and Alcohol
- Social Workers
- Allied Health
- Other organisations
To contact a Drugs in Pregnancy Program (DIPS) in Northern NSW phone:
The Tweed HospitalTweed, Byron Bay & Murwillumbah
07 5506 7010
LismoreLismore, Ballina, Coraki, Woodburn, Casino, Kyogle and further west
02 6620 7600
GraftonClarence Valley, Maclean & Yamba
02 6641 8702
MERIT Program; (Magistrates Early Referral into Treatment)
The MERIT Program is a service for people who have local court matters & substance use problems.
To contact the MERIT Program phone:
Lismore and Grafton02 6620 7650
Tweed Heads07 5506 7010
Youth Drug and Alcohol Counsellor Byron Shire (12-24 years);
This service provides individual and family counselling to young people:
- For their own substance use problems
- Those who have been affected by the drug or alcohol use of people close to them
Other services include:
- Information and education
- Help with referral to detox and rehabilitation facilities
- Not required, but preferred
- Phone Drug and Alcohol Intake line
- Young people aged 12-25 years old living in Byron Shire and surrounds
To contact the Youth Drug and Alcohol Counsellor Byron Shire:02 6639 9400