Keep track of how much alcohol you are drinking.
- Keep a count of how many drinks you have had.
- Drink slowly, it takes an hour for your body to process a standard drink. Learn how to calculate standard drink. Want to know what is a standard drink?
- Avoid drinking shots or spirits. These drinks are high alcohol and are the main cause of blackouts, alcoholic poisoning, brain and liver damage. Did you know the alcohol content of spirits is very high 35-50%, compared to wine 12-14%. and beer 3-12%.
- Risky drinking can mean drinking too much on one night or occasion or heavy drinking over months or years. How much alcohol is risky depends on a number of factors including:
- Being pregnant.
- How healthy you are.
- Your age.
- How much you drink
- How often you drink
- How fast you drink
- Where you drink.
- What you are doing during and after drinking.
- What you are eating or what medications or other illicit drugs you are taking.
- Your mood at the time of drinking.
Want to know more about your drinking and whether or not it is risky drinking? Have a look at Drinkcheck. All it takes is 5 minutes.