There was one new case of COVID-19 reported in Northern NSW Local Health District to 8pm 22 September.
The case was reported in the Tweed LGA, and is linked to a known case in the ACT which is where the infection was acquired.
The case has been in isolation throughout their time in Northern NSW. A small number of close contacts have been contacted directly by NSW Health, but there are no identified public venues of concern associated with this case.
Fragments of the COVID-19 virus have been detected in samples taken from the Grafton sewage treatment plant on 20 September. The site serves approximately 18,500 people in the North and South Grafton areas.
“This detection is concerning given there are no known cases in the area,” Acting Chief Executive Northern NSW Local Health District Lynne Weir, said.
Further sewage surveillance has detected fragments of the virus in samples taken from the Wardell sewage treatment plant on 21 September. This is the third detection in that area in the past 10 days.
“We urge anyone in the Grafton and Wardell areas who has even mild cold-like symptoms, to get tested and isolate until a negative result is received,” Ms Weir said.
Northern NSW Local Health District is investigating a number of new venues of concern associated with a confirmed case of COVID-19 who was in the Ballina LGA.
Surveillance testing is continuing today at Cabbage Tree Island.
Testing clinics currently available in Grafton and Ballina areas are:
- Grafton Base Hospital, 184 Arthur Street, Grafton. Open 9am- 5pm, appointments not required.
- Grafton South Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology, 94 Bent Street, Shop 9 Coles Complex, South Grafton. Open 7am – 2pm Monday to Friday, appointments not required.
- Ballina 4Cyte Drive Through clinic, 39 River Street, Ballina. Open 7am – 2pm daily, appointments not required.
- Ballina Respiratory Clinic, 92 Tamar Street, Shop 12, Tamar Shopping Village, Ballina. Open Monday- Friday 8.30am – 4pm, appointments required.
- Ballina Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology, 90 Tamar Street, Shop 4, Ballina. Open Monday to Friday 7am – 5.30pm, appointments not required.
There are more than 500 COVID-19 testing locations across NSW. Find a clinic at COVID-19 testing clinics or contact your GP.
We encourage our community to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as they are able to. Find available bookings at the Commonwealth Government’s COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Finder (previously eligibility checker), or you can also call Health Direct on 1800 57 11 55 for assistance to book.