The Health Promotion Team are inviting members of the community to come along and let them know what services they would like to see in Yamba that will help people to quit smoking. The Team will be in Yamba on Thursday 2 April 2015.
Jillian Adams, Manager, Health Promotion for NNSW LHD said, “Smoking is the biggest killer in Australia and affects every organ in your body. In Australia we lose approximately 300 lives per week due to smoking related illness. That is equivalent to a passenger plane crashing every week and having no survivors. Smoking and the related health issues have economic as well as social consequences for everyone in the community.”
The Health Promotion team are trained to access nicotine dependence and advise smokers on the best strategies to quit. For smokers who quit now, will notice the benefits appear more quickly and continue for years. Once you stop smoking:
- Within 20 minutes your heart rate reduces.
- Within 12 hours the carbon monoxide level in your blood reduces dramatically -this can be measured at the pharmacy using a smokerlyzer.
- At 3 days phlegm loosens in the lungs and starts to clean-up. Taste and smell return. You will feel less short of breath.
- After 3 weeks, activity is much easier
- After 2 months, blood flow to the hands and feet improves.
- After 3 months, lung cleansing (cilia) is working normally. Carbon monoxide has left the blood. You will have more energy. Hair and skin look healthier. Men have a higher sperm count.
- After one year, the risk of heart attack drops to half.
- After 10 years, the risk of lung cancer drops to half.
Yamba dates and session times are all FREE
Soul Pattinson Chemist Yamba
17 Yamba Street, Yamba Yamba Priceline Pharmacy
Yamba Shopping Fair, Yamba
Thursday 2 April 2015 9:00am – 11:00am 11:30 am – 1:30pm
Thursday 16 April 2015 9:00am – 11:00am 11:30 am – 1:30pm
Thursday 30 April 2015 9:00am – 11:00am 11:30 am – 1:30pm