- General Visiting Hours: 2.00pm-8.00pm (NSW Times)
- Partners and siblings may visit during the morning
- Mothers are also encouraged to rest from 12 to 2pm and phone calls are discouraged during these times
The Tweed Hospital – Women’s Care UnitThe 20 bed unit provides maternity care including antenatal care, birthing assistance, a specialist neonatal nursery plus gynaecological surgical services. Decorated with homelike furnishing, most rooms in the birthing area have river views.
Midwives care for women during their pregnancy in the Antenatal Clinic, during labour and after the birth and assist the new family to care for their baby. As some women wish to return home early after giving birth, the services of a midwife visiting at home may be able to be arranged, depending upon your home location.
Care through the pregnancy, labour and birth and the neonatal period is provided by the midwives who consult or refer to the Obstetricians, Registrars or Paediatricians where complications arise. As at 2013/14 The Tweed Hospital has approximately 1600 births per year. The Tweed Hospital is currently supporting the clinical placements of medical students from Griffith, Bond and Wollongong Universities and Midwifery Students from Southern Cross University. These students are given the opportunity to care for patients in the hospital setting and are placed under the supervision of trained Registrars or Registered Midwives when caring for patients.
- Patients require a referral from their GP and must have their blood test results and first ultrasound results prior to booking in to The Tweed Hospital Antenatal Clinic
- Patients may telephone or self refer or present to the Women’s Care Unit after 20 weeks gestation, if they have concerns about their pregnancy
- Under 20 weeks gestation, patients should present to the Emergency Department
Location of Service
The Maternity Unit is locate on Level 2 and The Antenatal Clinic is located at the front of the Hospital in the Outpatients Department.
The Tweed Hospital, Powell Street, Tweed Heads NSW 2485