If someone you know has told you they’ve experienced domestic or family violence, there are things you can do to help.
- Believe her.
- Validate her experiences.
- Acknowledge it may have been difficult to tell you, but that you are glad that she has.
- Acknowledge her strengths and resilience.
- Empower her with information and resources
- Support her in her choices
- Do not interrogate her.
- Do not tell her what to do, but empower her with resources and support her in her choices.
- Do not rush her
Support line information can be provided as follows:
1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732
NSW DV Line: 1800 656 463
Qld DV Hotline: 1800 811 811
Men’s Referral Service: 1300 766 491
Momentum Collective Domestic Violence Response Enhancement (DVRE): 1300 355 305